The meatballs are excellent. The sauce is much better if you can make ahead. The next day the dipping sauce was even better. I halved the recipe and we still had plenty for two and leftovers.
Persian Street Vendor Kebabs
These flavorful skewers are reminiscent of food sold from street carts in Manhattan. Sumac is a tart spice commonly used in Middle Eastern dishes; look for it at specialty stores. You can also broil the kebabs for about eight minutes, turning after five minutes.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 303
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 31.9g
- Carbohydrate: 9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 441mg
- Calcium: 45mg
- 1 cup grated onion (about 2 medium)
- 10 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek-style yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1. Place grated onion in a sieve over a large bowl for 30 minutes, pressing occasionally to squeeze out excess liquid. Discard liquid.
- 2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Combine onion, breadcrumbs, and next 8 ingredients (through lamb) in a large bowl; stir until well blended. Divide meat mixture into 40 equal portions, shaping each into a 3 x 1–inch rectangle. Thread 4 pieces onto each of 10 (12-inch) skewers.
- 4. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add saffron to pan; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Crush saffron in a small bowl; stir in oil.
- 5. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until done, turning after 5 minutes. Place kebabs on a platter. Brush oil mixture evenly over kebabs. Sprinkle kebabs evenly with sumac. Combine yogurt and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir until well blended. Serve kebabs with yogurt sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note