Love this dip.... I just made it to serve as an app for Easter dinner tomorrow, but I'm not sure it will last until then! I may add some lemon to the dish because I think it needs a tiny bit of acidity, but overall, I think it is GREAT! I LOVE that it uses greek yogurt (I use Greek Yogurt for everything from sandwich spreads to taco toppings)!
Persian Spinach and Yogurt Dip (Borani Esfanaj)
Variations of this Persian Borani Esfanaj dish are popular throughout the Mediterranean region. We like the thick, creamy texture of organic yogurt, though you can use any kind of plain, fat-free yogurt. Letting the dip stand before refrigerating it allows flavors to meld. To minimize prep time, you can use frozen spinach, chopped and squeezed dry, and omit the first step. Serve with crudités, pita, or crispy flatbread.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 20
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 0.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 2.8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 121mg
- Calcium: 47mg
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain fat-free organic yogurt (such as Stonyfield Farm)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add fresh spinach, and cook for 1 minute. Drain well. Place spinach on several layers of paper towels; squeeze until barely moist.
- Melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 6 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in spinach and salt. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine spinach mixture, organic yogurt, black pepper, and ground cinnamon in a medium bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Persian Spinach and Yogurt Dip (Borani Esfanaj) Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine