Devine! My husband is not a fan of zucchini but he really liked this. The flavors are very unique with a bit of hot spice from the red pepper. Used brown rice, 1/8 tsp cardamon powder, 1 1/2 Tbsp dried dill, no oil, very small amount feta, and broiled for closer to 15 minutes. Zucchini was done perfectly, not mushy. This did take some work, but hubbie made the green bean/mushroom side dish so that helped. We are pretty much vegan and loved this!
Persian Rice-Stuffed Zucchini with Pistachios and Dill
Photo: Johnny Autry
More From Cooking Light
Total: 56 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 265
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Carbohydrate: 31.6g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 389mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 6 medium zucchini (6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup jasmine rice
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 8 dried apricots, coarsely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup chopped shelled dry-roasted, unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Chop pulp. Place the zucchini halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add rice, cardamom, and cinnamon; cook for 5 minutes or until the rice is opaque, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, cumin, red pepper, and 1 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in apricots. Cover and let stand 10 minutes; discard cardamom and cinnamon. Spoon rice mixture into a large bowl; cool slightly.
- 4. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, orange rind, and juices in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add dressing, reserved zucchini pulp, pistachios, and remaining ingredients to rice mixture; toss well to combine.
- 5. Preheat broiler to high.
- 6. Spoon about 1/4 cup rice mixture into each zucchini shell. Broil 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note