Based on reading the previous reviews, I used the nuts (pecans since that is what I had) plus some bread crumbs to coat the chicken, and left them out of the sauce. used boneless, skinless chicken thighs, and just used the sauce to the side of the chicken. served with some naan and a simple salad with candied pumpkin seeds...pretty good!
Persian Pomegranate-Walnut Chicken
Based on the Persian dish fesenjan, this streamlined entrée features a sweet-tart sauce of pomegranate juice thickened with ground walnuts. After toasting, cool the nuts completely before grinding.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 299
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Protein: 41.7g
- Carbohydrate: 9g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 585mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 8 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- 1. Place walnuts in a food processor; process until finely ground. Set aside.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add half of chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- 3. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ground walnuts, broth, and the remaining ingredients except cilantro, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note