Perfect (English) French Onion Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 5 1/2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 4 peeled yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon(s) flour
- 3 sprig(s) thyme, leaves only
- 1 tablespoon(s) white balsamic vinegar
- 1 3/4 cup(s) hard cider
- 2 1/2 cup(s) beef stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 dash(es) Calvados
- 8 slice(s) crusty French bread
- 1 clove(s) garlic
- 3 1/2 ounce(s) grated Swiss cheese
- 1. Melt the butter in a large soup pot over low heat. Add the onions, season and cook, stirring regularly, until nut-brown & soft. 90min-120min.
- 2. Stir in the flour and thyme and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring, then add the vinegar and a third of the cider, stirring and scraping all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 3. Whisk in the rest of the cider and the stock, and bring to the boil. Simmer for about an hour.
- 4. Add the Calvados to the soup and season to taste.
- 5. Rub the baguette slices with the cut side of a garlic clove and toast on both sides.
- To serve, ladle hot soup into ovenproof dishes and top each with 2 croutons and a mound of cheese. Grill until golden, then serve immediately.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by carolfitz and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note