Perfect Cherry Pie
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 1/2 cup(s) flour (unbleached)
- 1 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup(s) ice cold water
- 5 cup(s) pitted sour or sweet cherries organic canned or fresh
- 1-3 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- Get crust going:
- Whisk flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Add butter and mix with hands until small beads/ pea clumps are formed. Add ice water, mix with fork until dough holds together when pieces pressed. NOTE: if dough melts, pop in fridge, if it hardens or gets dry, add water. Sticky means its too wet. You can add a bit more flour. Gather dough together and divide into 2 pieces, make into ball, flatten into disk and wrap in plastic. Put in refrigerator for about 30-60 minutes, can also do 2 days ahead of time.
- Start filling:
- Preheat oven to 425, put rack on lower rung. Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl. Stir cherries, lemon juice and vanilla, set aside.
- Roll out Dough:
- When rolling out, start at center and roll out. Don’t worry if breaks, can patch spots. When it melts (and it will) pop back in fridge and roll again. Flip onto pie plate. Roll out dough to 12″ round and transfer to 9″ pie plate. Try to get ½ inch overhang, trim with hands. Roll out second dough and using knife, pastry wheel (or pizza cutter!) cut strips for lattice top.
- Transfer filling to center of dough, piling it slightly. Dot filling with pieces of butter. Lay out lattice pieces, interweaving, and roll up edges of dough overhang to crimp. Lightly dust edges with milk and sugar. Bake on baking sheet for 15 minutes then reduce temp to 375, bake until filling bubbles and crust is golden brown – about 1 hour. If browning too fast, cover edges with tinfoil. Transfer pie to rack to cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CaliMom and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note