Peppery Texas Pickles
- 2 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 small dried red chile peppers
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 3 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canning-and-pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- Place first 5 ingredients in a large plastic bowl (do not use glass).
- Combine vinegar, 1 cup water, and next 3 ingredients in a 4-cup glass measuring cup. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes; remove from microwave, and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour hot mixture evenly over cucumber mixture. Cover and chill 48 hours.
- Spoon evenly into quart canning jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch of room at the top; seal, label, and freeze pickles 8 hours or up to 6 months. Thaw in refrigerator before serving; use thawed pickles within 1 week.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note