I also forgot the beans, and I didn't have banana peppers, so I left those out too. I tasted it as soon as I finished making it and thought it was just ok. It sat in the fridge until dinner that night and it is now one of my favorite pastas (I'm sure it will be even better when I make it with the beans and peppers too). It is definitely better once it has a chance to chill for a bit. I'll certainly make a double batch next time so I have some for lunch the next day too.
Peppery Monterey Jack Pasta Salad
Acini di pepe [ah-CHEE-nee dee-PAY-pay] are tiny pasta rounds resembling peppercorns. Use ditalini (very short tube-shaped macaroni) or any other small pasta shape if you can't find acini di pepe in your supermarket. Serve with Asiago breadsticks.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 371
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 16.6g
- Carbohydrate: 51.7g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 919mg
- Calcium: 164mg
- 6 ounces uncooked acini di pepe pasta (about 1 cup)
- 2 1/4 cups diced plum tomato (about 14 ounces)
- 1/3 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled banana peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 (16-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ounce salami, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
- 2. Combine tomato and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add pasta to tomato mixture, tossing well to combine.
- Asiago breadsticks: Combine 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, and 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl. Separate 1 (7-ounce) can refrigerated breadstick dough to form 8 sticks; roll each breadstick in cheese mixture. Bake according to package directions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note