Peppery Grilled Shrimp (Tom Nuong Toi Xa Ot)
Smoky grilled shrimp play well against the cooling herbs and noodles of the salad. Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes, plus at least 15 minutes to marinate. Notes: Soak the skewers in water for at least 1/2 hour before grilling. You can use a grill pan or broiler instead of a grill.
This recipe goes with Herb Noodle Salad (Bun)
More From Sunset
- Calories: 258
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 598mg
- Cholesterol: 140mg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lemon grass
- 5 tablespoons minced garlic (about 10 large cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian red chili sauce, such as Sriracha
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled (leave tails intact) and deveined
- 6 wooden skewers (6 in. each), soaked in water
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, sliced into thin slivers
- 1. In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon grass, garlic, chili sauce, fish sauce, sugar, olive oil, lime juice, pepper, and green onions. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Let marinate 15 minutes at room temperature or up to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- 2. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for high heat (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above grill level only 2 to 3 seconds). Brush grill with vegetable oil. Thread shrimp onto skewers and grill until curled, pink, and opaque, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove skewers and garnish with mint.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note