Great breading mix, nice & crunchy. Would be good with any thin meat--pork, cube steak, turkey cutlets. Like another reviewer, I had lots of leftover egg/milk and cracker crumb/flour mix left over. I had to slice bnls/sknls chicken breast in half horizontally or I would have been pounding it all day. That worked well. Haven't made the gravy yet, but with leftover egg/milk & breading, will make more today, with mashies & gravy. Would gladly serve to guests and will share with family members.
Peppery Chicken Fried Chicken
Make a crispy coating for fried chicken with by dredging the chicken in a mixture of flour and saltine crackers, plus a hit of freshly ground pepper. Cut leftover chicken into strips, and serve over salad greens. Drizzle with creamy Ranch or blue cheese dressing.
More From Southern Living
Fry: 15 Minutes
- 8 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 4 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 76 saltine crackers (2 sleeves), crushed
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 8 cups milk, divided
- 4 large eggs
- Peanut oil
- Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper evenly over chicken. Set aside.
- Combine cracker crumbs, 2 cups flour, baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and ground red pepper.
- Whisk together 1 1/2 cups milk and eggs. Dredge chicken in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a 12-inch skillet (do not use a nonstick skillet). Heat to 360°. Fry chicken, in batches, 10 minutes, adding oil as needed. Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack in a jellyroll pan. Keep chicken warm in a 225° oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper, and remaining 6 1/2 cups milk. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note