This is fantastic. Since I don't like using the oven much in Arizona, I microwaved the onions for 10 minutes on high and then cooked them in the oven with broth and soy for 30 minutes. Came out perfectly!
Peppery Baked Onions with Sage and Gruyère
These onions have all the rich flavor of French onion soup and are a good accompaniment to roast beef, baked ham, or lamb.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 onion halves)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 110
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 14.6g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 271mg
- Calcium: 116mg
- 4 medium yellow onions, peeled and halved
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup less-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely shredded Gruyère cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange onions, cut sides up, in a single layer in a shallow 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Brush tops of onions with oil; sprinkle with pepper and salt. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes. Add broth and soy sauce; bake 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes. Sprinkle sage and cheese evenly over onions. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This