Notes: To brown butter, place in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium heat and cook until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl; let cool to room temperature. You can store these cookies airtight for up to one week.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 19
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 0.1g
- Fat: 0.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 2.9g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 19mg
- Cholesterol: 2.1mg
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) browned butter, cooled (see notes)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed hard peppermint candies
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat browned butter and sugar until well blended. Beat in egg white and vanilla until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour and baking soda. Stir or beat into butter mixture until well incorporated. Stir in crushed peppermints.
- 3. Drop dough in 1/2-teaspoon portions, 1 inch apart, onto buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 4. Bake in a 350° oven until tops of cookies are deep golden and slightly cracked, 8 to 10 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
- 5. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool. If hot cookies start to break, slide a thin spatula under them to release; let stand on pan to firm up, 2 to 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note