Peppered Tuna with Crowder Peas
- 1 quart water
- 1 (6- to 8-ounce) smoked ham hock
- 3 cups fresh or frozen crowder peas
- 3 to 4 hot peppers in vinegar, drained
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 4 (6-ounce) tuna steaks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 (0.9-ounce) package béarnaise sauce
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- Garnish: fresh tarragon sprigs
- Bring 1 quart water and ham hock to a boil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven. Cook 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half. Remove and discard ham hock.
- Stir in peas, hot peppers, and Cajun seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 25 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Prepare béarnaise sauce according to package directions; keep warm.
- Coat tuna evenly with oil; sprinkle evenly with salt and ground peppers. Cook in a large hot skillet over high heat 5 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness.
- Divide salad greens evenly onto 4 serving plates. Top with tuna steaks and 1/4 cup drained peas. Drizzle with béarnaise sauce and garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Knorr béarnaise sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note