Peppered Strawberries with Amaretto and Ice Cream
Prep: 6 minutes; Cook: 2 minutes
Strawberries grow bountifully outside of Rome, where they cover the hillsides surrounding volcanic Lake Nemi. Because of this, these berries are often incorporated into simple Italian desserts. It may seem odd to the American palate to add black pepper to strawberries, but these two ingredients are natural food partners. The spicy pepper accentuates the flavor of the sweet, juicy strawberries.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 214
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 35.7g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 89mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 2 tablespoons amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 1 pound)
- 2 1/2 cups vanilla light ice cream
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Stir in strawberries; remove from heat. Serve immediately over ice cream.
- Note: You may substitute 1/4 teaspoon almond extract plus 2 tablespoons water for the amaretto, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This