Peppercorn Ice Cream with Rum-Glazed Pineapple
The flavor of crushed black peppercorns balances the tropical pineapple and rum with a gentle heat.
Yield: 7 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 266
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 52.5g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 98mg
- Calcium: 249mg
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 7 (1/2-inch-thick) slices pineapple
- Cooking spray
- Lime slices (optional)
- Combine 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk and peppercorns in a medium heavy saucepan; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Strain milk through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl. Gradually add the hot milk to egg yolks, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan. Add the granulated sugar; cook over medium heat until the milk mixture coats a metal spoon (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly. Combine 3/4 cup low-fat milk, vanilla, lime rind, lime juice, and condensed milk in a medium bowl. Gradually add custard, stirring with a whisk. Cover and chill completely.
- Pour mixture into freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm.
- Combine brown sugar and rum in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at high 1 1/2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring after 45 seconds.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Place pineapple on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned, basting occasionally with rum mixture. Place 1 pineapple slice on each of 7 dessert plates; top each serving with 1/2 cup ice cream. Garnish with limeslices, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Peppercorn Ice Cream with Rum-Glazed Pineapple Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Ice Cream/Sherbet
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, New American, Caribbean
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Dairy, Eggs, Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Fat, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Ice-Cream Maker
- OCCASION: Spring, Summer, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Desserts