Pepper Jack Macaroni and Cheese
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 456
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 26.6g
- Carbohydrate: 59.9g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 883mg
- Calcium: 270mg
- 1 pound uncooked cellentani (corkscrew) pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups 1.5% reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided (optional)
- 1 (8-oz.) package chopped smoked ham
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
- 1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cellentani pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Gradually whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and evaporated milk until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Whisk in cheeses, salt, and, if desired, 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in ham and pasta.
- 3. Pour pasta mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir together crushed cereal, green chiles, 1 Tbsp. melted butter, and, if desired, remaining 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper; sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: We tested with Barilla Cellentani pasta.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving, baked with topping.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note