- 15 medium onions, ground
- 12 medium-size green peppers, seeded and ground
- 12 large sweet red peppers, seeded and ground
- 1 quart plus 2 2/3 cups cider vinegar, divided
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons salt
- Combine onion and peppers in a large glass, ceramic, or stainless steel container. Cover with boiling water; let stand 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Combine 2 2/3 cups vinegar and water in a medium-size stainless steel saucepan; bring to a boil. Pour over pepper mixture; let stand 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Combine remaining vinegar, sugar, mustard and celery seeds, and salt in saucepan; bring to a boil. Add drained pepper mixture; simmer 2 hours or until onions are translucent, stirring frequently.
- Pack hash into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/3-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Cover with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in boiling-water bath 20 minutes. Serve with meats or vegetables.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note