I wanted to try something new and this seemed like a good comfort food recipe, not to mention I live in "Pennsylvania Dutch" country. While these take a bit of time to make, they were really good. I also threw in a handful of bacon crumbles with the meat mixture. I'm not one to cook things through recipes, as I like to make my own, but I think I will hold on to this one!
Pennsylvania Dutch Meat Pies
More From Allyou
Chill: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 368
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Sodium: 422mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups finely chopped green cabbage
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and refrigerated
- 1 large egg
- 1. Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until tender and golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute longer. Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up large pieces with the back of a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in cabbage; cook until wilted and soft, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Remove skillet from heat and stir in mustard and Cheddar. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool completely.
- 3. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Remove puff pastry from refrigerator 1 sheet at a time. Unroll pastry on a floured work surface and cut into 4 5-by-5-inch squares. Place 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each square, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold into triangles; seal edges with a fork. Place at least 2 inches apart on baking sheets; refrigerate. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Refrigerate pies for 30 minutes.
- 4. Put racks in lowest positions in oven; preheat to 425ºF. In a bowl, whisk egg with 1 tsp. water. Brush top of pies with egg wash. Bake until puffed and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Make it ahead
TO FREEZE: Don't brush pies with egg wash. Freeze on parchment-lined baking sheets. Wrap each in foil and place in freezer bags; freeze.
TO SERVE: Preheat oven to 425°F. Unwrap pies, brush with egg wash and place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note