- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices small zucchini (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion (about 1 large)
- 6 quarts water
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 420
- fat 17.2 g
- satfat 6.1 g
- monofat 6.6 g
- polyfat 2.6 g
- protein 13.9 g
- carbohydrate 52.9 g
- fiber 3.4 g
- cholesterol 29.2 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 575 mg
- calcium 173 mg
How to Make It
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender and golden. Remove from pan; cool.
Place 1/4 cup cooked zucchini, basil, 1/4 cup cheese, pine nuts, and garlic in a food processor; process until finely chopped. (Keep mixture in processor.)
Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until golden. Return remaining cooked zucchini to pan. Remove from heat.
Combine 6 quarts water and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a large Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Drain in a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid. Add pasta to vegetables.
With processor on, add reserved liquid to basil mixture; process until smooth. Add basil mixture to pasta. Add cream, remaining salt, and pepper; stir. Top with remaining cheese.