Penne with Shrimp and Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 3/4 pound penne rigate
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled
- 1. In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the olive oil and the lemon juice with the paprika, cumin, ginger, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and the cilantro.
- 2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the penne rigate until almost done, about 12 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until it and the pasta are just done, about 1 minute longer. Drain. Toss with the tomato sauce.
- Variations: Penne with Mozzarella and Spicy Tomato Sauce: Use 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch cubes, in place of the shrimp. Toss the cheese in at the end.
- Penne with Sausage and Spicy Tomato Sauce: Use grilled sausage cut into bite-size pieces in place of the shrimp. Toss the sausage into the pasta with the tomato sauce.
- Penne with Grilled Vegetables and Spicy Tomato Sauce: In place of the shrimp, use grilled or sautéed vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, or green beans, cut into bite-size pieces. Toss the vegetables into the pasta with the sauce.
- Wine Recommendation: With its competing spices, strong-flavored cilantro, and acidic tomatoes, this pasta dish calls for a simple Italian white--a pinot grigio, for example.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note