- 6 ounces penne (tubular pasta), uncooked
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 2 sausages)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- calories 298
- fat 7.5 g
- satfat 2.7 g
- protein 18.9 g
- carbohydrate 38.9 g
- cholesterol 52 mg
- iron 2.6 mg
- sodium 627 mg
- caloriesfromfat 23 %
- fiber 2.5 g
- calcium 99 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and keep warm.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add sausage, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until browned, stirring often; drain well. Set sausage aside. Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel.
Coat pan with cooking spray; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add sausage and tomato. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until most of liquid is evaporated. Stir in roasted bell peppers and ground black pepper. Remove from heat.
Place pasta in a large bowl; add sausage mixture, and toss. Spoon evenly onto serving plates, and sprinkle with cheese.