- 1 pound penne
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 green peppers, or 1 red and 1 green, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water or dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
Cook the penne according to package directions. Meanwhile, place the sausage in a large skillet filled with about 1/2 inch of water; simmer over high heat for 9 minutes.
While the sausage cooks, heat half of the oil over medium heat in another large skillet. Add the onion, the peppers, and half of the basil. Sauté for 9 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove the sausage from the skillet with a slotted spoon; add it, with the remaining oil, to the onion-pepper mixture; cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water or wine, salt and pepper, and remaining basil; simmer over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Toss the penne with the sausage and pepper sauce, and serve.