Solid and simple. I used a three-cheese ravioli and cut back on the serving size to keep the calories more manageable. Also, to keep it vegetarian, I reserved the liquid from the reconstituted dried mushrooms and used that in place of chicken broth. Served with a warm white bean salad with roasted peppers and just a trace of homemade pesto.
Penne with Sage and Mushrooms
Photo: Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups)
More From Cooking Light
1 Hour, 39 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 51.1g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 550mg
- Calcium: 183mg
- 1 whole garlic head
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1/2 ounce dried wild mushroom blend (about 3/4 cup)
- 8 ounces uncooked 100 percent whole-grain penne pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 2 1/2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 ounces fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Cut top off garlic head. Place in a small baking dish, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil; cover with foil, and bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Remove dish from oven. Add 1/2 cup boiling water to dish; cover and let stand 30 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp into water. Discard skins. Mash garlic pulp mixture with a fork, and set aside.
- 3. Combine remaining 2 cups boiling water and dried mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes. Rinse mushrooms; drain well, and roughly chop. Set aside.
- 4. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- 5. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sage to pan; sauté 1 minute or until crisp and browned. Remove from pan using a slotted spoon; set aside. Add cremini mushrooms, salt, and pepper to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic mixture, chopped mushrooms, and broth to pan; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about half. Grate 1 1/2 ounces cheese. Stir pasta and grated cheese into pan; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Thinly shave remaining 1/2 ounce cheese; top each serving evenly with cheese shavings and sage leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes