- 1 whole garlic head
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1/2 ounce dried wild mushroom blend (about 3/4 cup)
- 8 ounces uncooked 100 percent whole-grain penne pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 2 1/2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 ounces fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- calories 350
- fat 13 g
- satfat 2.9 g
- monofat 6.6 g
- polyfat 2.5 g
- protein 14.6 g
- carbohydrate 51.1 g
- fiber 7.8 g
- cholesterol 9 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 550 mg
- calcium 183 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Cut top off garlic head. Place in a small baking dish, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil; cover with foil, and bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Remove dish from oven. Add 1/2 cup boiling water to dish; cover and let stand 30 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp into water. Discard skins. Mash garlic pulp mixture with a fork, and set aside.
Combine remaining 2 cups boiling water and dried mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes. Rinse mushrooms; drain well, and roughly chop. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sage to pan; sauté 1 minute or until crisp and browned. Remove from pan using a slotted spoon; set aside. Add cremini mushrooms, salt, and pepper to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic mixture, chopped mushrooms, and broth to pan; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about half. Grate 1 1/2 ounces cheese. Stir pasta and grated cheese into pan; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Thinly shave remaining 1/2 ounce cheese; top each serving evenly with cheese shavings and sage leaves.