This was very easy to make but I ended up actually cooking the eggplant in the saute pan to speed up the process. I halved the recipe as well. I also didn't have any stewed tomatoes so I used crush tomatoes and it worked just as well. I definitely agree with other posts that it lacked pizazz....so after cooking it I added some garlic and onion power which helped and the dish would probably be even better with fresh garlic and onion as well as maybe some thyme or basil. VERY FILLING. but overall not too bad!
Penne with Roasted Eggplant, Chickpeas, and Feta
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 388
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 15.4g
- Carbohydrate: 60.6g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 586mg
- Calcium: 132mg
- 5 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Combine eggplant and oil in a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 500° for 12 minutes, stirring once.
- While eggplant bakes, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Combine the oregano, chickpeas, and tomatoes in a large skillet over medium heat; cook 4 minutes. Stir in eggplant and pasta. Combine reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid and egg in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add egg mixture to pan; stir well. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until egg mixture is slightly thick, stirring constantly (do not boil). Stir in feta, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes