Penne With Chicken and Preserved Lemon
This penne with chicken recipe will become your go-to dish on pasta night. Whole wheat pasta, broccoli rabe, and fresh lemon pump up the health factor.
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 424
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 35g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 386mg
- Calcium: 141mg
- 1/2 pound uncooked whole-wheat penne
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sliced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups skinless, boneless, shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 preserved lemon, rinsed, pulp removed, and rind thinly sliced or 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Parmesan cheese (for shaving)
- 1. Cook penne according to package directions. Add broccoli rabe to pasta during the last 2 minutes of cooking. When penne is al dente and broccoli rabe is tender but still bright green, drain, reserving 1/3 cup pasta water; set aside.
- 2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper, and cook 1 1/2–2 minutes or until fragrant but not browned. Add the chicken and reserved pasta water, and cook 1 minute or until heated through. Add preserved lemon rind (or lemon zest) and salt; remove from heat.
- 3. Toss chicken mixture with cooked pasta and broccoli rabe and grated fresh Parmesan; divide evenly among 4 bowls. Use a wide peeler to shave 12 (2-inch-long) strips of Parmesan. Place 3 shavings over each portion; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine