- 12 ounces uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 3 cups trimmed, halved Brussels sprouts (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bacon slices
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 384
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fat 12 g
- satfat 5.3 g
- monofat 4.3 g
- polyfat 1.3 g
- protein 17.4 g
- carbohydrate 53.3 g
- fiber 4.9 g
- cholesterol 23 mg
- iron 3.3 mg
- sodium 476 mg
- calcium 207 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting the salt and fat. Drain well.
Steam Brussels sprouts, covered, 7 minutes or until tender. Drain and sprinkle with salt.
Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside.
Add Brussels sprouts to the bacon drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in cooked pasta; cover mixture, and keep warm.
Combine milk, flour, and broth, stirring well with a whisk. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add milk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk until well blended. Cook for 6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Pour sauce over pasta mixture, tossing to coat. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, nuts, bacon, and pepper; serve immediately.