It was a filling dinner, but not anything amazing. Won't make it again.
Penne with Broccoli
Don't expect crisp, bright green broccoli in this delicious sauce. Hertha Verdurmen cooks broccoli with olive oil and garlic slowly until it breaks down into a soft, flavorful pasta topping.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 342
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Sodium: 294mg
- Cholesterol: 4.4mg
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces dried penne pasta
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1. Rinse broccoli and trim and discard stem ends. Coarsely chop tops and stems. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium heat, stir olive oil and garlic often until garlic sizzles, then stir in broccoli, chili flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is very soft and mashes easily with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water to pan if broccoli threatens to scorch.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 4 quarts water to a boil; add penne and cook until tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and return to pan.
- 3. Stir broccoli mixture into pasta along with cheese. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This