- 1/2 pound penne
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1 pound thick asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shelled English peas or frozen baby peas, thawed (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and asparagus and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the stock and boil over high heat until reduced by half and the asparagus are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the peas and cream to the skillet and boil over high heat until the sauce has thickened, 3 minutes. Stir in the penne and cook until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, sage and the 1/2 cup of cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pasta to bowls and serve right away, passing additional cheese at the table.