- Salt and pepper
- 12 ounces penne
- 1 5-oz. can tuna packed in oil, not drained
- 1 15 1/2-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Several fresh basil leaves, torn into large pieces
- calories 611
- fat 19 g
- satfat 3 g
- protein 29 g
- carbohydrate 80 g
- fiber 8 g
- cholesterol 9 mg
- sodium 869 mg
How to Make It
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 11 minutes or as package label directs.
Put tuna and oil from can into a small heatproof bowl and gently flake with a fork. Add beans, capers and lemon juice. Stir to combine, taking care not to crush beans. Ladle in 1/2 cup of boiling water from pot with pasta.
Drain pasta and return to pot. Add tuna mixture and olive oil; toss gently. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan, top with basil and serve warm.
This recipe was previously published in All You, Back to School Special, July 2013.