- 16 ounces uncooked penne or other short pasta
- 4 pancetta slices or thick bacon slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Garnishes: Parmesan cheese shavings, fresh basil leaves
How to Make It
Prepare pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, cook pancetta in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove pancetta, and drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in oil, shallots, garlic, and red pepper; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until shallots are tender.
Stir in vodka; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in stock and next 4 ingredients, and simmer 15 more minutes.
Reduce heat to low; stir in cream, basil, and pancetta. Cook 2 minutes or until heated through. (Do not boil.) Spoon pasta into serving bowls; top with sauce. Garnish, if desired.