Delicious and easy to make.
Penne Rigate with Spicy Sausage and Zucchini in Tomato Cream Sauce
More From Cooking Light
Total: 45 Minutes
- Calories: 450
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 26.9g
- Carbohydrate: 55.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 5.2mg
- Sodium: 508mg
- Calcium: 347mg
- 8 ounces uncooked penne rigate pasta
- 6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 12 ounces zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash of sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Cooking spray
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated and divided (about 1/4 cup)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; set aside.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan, and sauté for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage from pan. Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel. Add zucchini to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Add oregano and next 4 ingredients (through sugar); sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add vinegar; cook for 30 seconds or until the liquid evaporates. Drain tomatoes in a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1 cup tomato liquid. Crush tomatoes with hands, and add to zucchini mixture. Add reserved 1 cup tomato liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat; stir in cream. Add pasta and sausage to tomato mixture; stir to combine.
- 4. Spoon half of pasta mixture into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, or divide half evenly among 4 individual dishes coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 ounce mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano over pasta. Top with remaining pasta mixture; sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 ounces mozzarella and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
- Wine Match: Highlight the acidic tomatoes and tame the spice with a McManis Family Pinot Grigio ($10), or pull out the earthy, meaty sausage and herb flavors with a Campo Viejo Rioja Tempranillo ($10). --Gretchen Roberts
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This