- 1 (26.46-ounce) box strained tomatoes (such as Pomi)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne rigate (tube-shaped pasta with ridges)
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- calories 298
- fat 7 g
- satfat 2 g
- monofat 4 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 12 g
- carbohydrate 48 g
- fiber 8 g
- cholesterol 6 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 257 mg
- calcium 98 mg
How to Make It
Heat a large deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, oil, salt, and pepper flakes to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until very thick (about 20 minutes), whisking frequently to prevent sticking.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
Transfer pasta to serving bowls; top with tomato sauce, Parmesan, and basil. Serve immediately.