Penne con Salsicce
Prep: 7 minutes; Cook: 22 minutes
Any tube-shaped pasta will work well to hold the piquant salsicce (sausage) for a burst of flavor with every bite.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Protein: 19.1g
- Carbohydrate: 38.4g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 889mg
- Calcium: 181mg
- 8 ounces uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced onion (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste with Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- 2. While pasta cooks, remove casings from sausage. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add sausage; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in tomatoes and next 7 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Preheat broiler.
- 4. Drain pasta, and return to pan. Add sauce, and toss gently to coat. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
- Salsicce (sahl-SE-chay) is traditionally pork sausage, but we've substituted turkey Italian sausage in this recipe.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine