- 8 ounces uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced onion (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste with Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- calories 307
- fat 8.4 g
- satfat 3.3 g
- protein 19.1 g
- carbohydrate 38.4 g
- fiber 2.2 g
- cholesterol 44 mg
- iron 3.4 mg
- sodium 889 mg
- calcium 181 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
While pasta cooks, remove casings from sausage. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add sausage; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in tomatoes and next 7 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Drain pasta, and return to pan. Add sauce, and toss gently to coat. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Salsicce (sahl-SE-chay) is traditionally pork sausage, but we've substituted turkey Italian sausage in this recipe.