Delicious! Added a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and let the sauce cool down a bit to thicken and mashed the tomatoes a bit. The fennel on the chicken was really tasty.
Penne and Chicken Tenderloins with Spiced Tomato Sauce
This penne pasta recipe is a simple way to bring Italian flavors to your dinner table. Serve with a green salad and garlic bread for a hearty, filling meal.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 446
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 38.5g
- Carbohydrate: 57.1g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 774mg
- Calcium: 153mg
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into (1-inch) pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup white wine
- 8 ounces uncooked penne
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl; rub over chicken.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes, turning once. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds or until garlic is soft. Add tomatoes and wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Toss pasta with sauce in a large bowl. Sprinkle with cheese and basil.
Any small pasta will work in this quick, easy entree. Ground fennel and coriander bring a welcome complexity to the chicken and impart their flavor to the sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note