My Aunt and I both made this. We are both great bakesr living in separate states. I had great hopes for this recipe, but neither one of us was impressed. I've found better recipes at other internet recipe-collection sites. The dough was decent and easy to work with, but the sauce and apples were too sweet. I think using most or all brown sugar (instead of white only) might help add to the depth of flavor. Neither of us would make this again.
Peggy's Classic Apple Dumplings
Photo: Southern Living
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 small Rome apples (about 1 3/4 lb.)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into 6 equal pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg in a saucepan. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 2 Tbsp. butter. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until crumbly. Cover and chill. Meanwhile, peel and core apples.
- 2. Stir milk into flour mixture until moistened. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 to 4 times. Roll into an 18- x 12-inch rectangle. Cut into 6 (6-inch) squares. Place 1 apple in center of each square.
- 3. Combine 1/3 cup sugar and remaining 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg; sprinkle over apples. Press 1 piece of butter into each apple center. Moisten edges of dough with water; fold dough over apples, pinching edges to seal. Place dumplings in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Pour sugar syrup over dumplings.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with pecans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts