Great pecan toffee. Giving it for gifts this year. HINT: Buy a good candy therometer. You can't judge candy by how long you've cooked it or the color. Altitude and humidity will both affect the cooking time.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup water
- 5 (1.55-ounce) milk chocolate bars, broken into small pieces
- Line a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil; lightly grease foil. Sprinkle with 1 cup pecans to within 1 inch of edges.
- Bring sugar, butter, and 1/3 cup water to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 12 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 310° (hard crack stage). Pour over pecans; sprinkle with chocolate pieces. Let stand 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans. Chill 30 minutes. Break up toffee using a mallet or rolling pin. Store in an airtight container.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note