I have made this cake for about 10 years! It is absolutely beautiful and the taste... there is nothing like it! I also make sugar coated pecans as a garnish... yum! This cake gets easier to make each time! Don't let a complicated cake get in the way of your enjoyment! YUM!
Pecan Pie Cake
Photo: Charles Walton
More From Southern Living
- 3 cups finely chopped pecans, toasted and divided
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 recipe Pecan Pie Filling
- 1 recipe Pastry Garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle 2 cups pecans evenly into 3 generously buttered 9-inch round cakepans; shake to coat bottoms and sides of pans.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and shorteningat medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Add flour and baking soda to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in remaining 1 cup finely chopped pecans.
- Beat egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form; fold one-third of egg whites into batter. Fold in remaining egg whites. (Do not overmix.) Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until done. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Invert layers onto wax paper-lined wire racks. Brush tops andsides of layers with corn syrup, and cool completely.
- Spread half of Pecan Pie Filling on 1 layer, pecan side up. Place second layer, pecan side up, on filling; spread with remaining filling. Top with remaining layer, pecan side up.
- Arrange Pastry Garnish on and around cake, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This