- 6 medium-size golden beets (about 6 oz. each)
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 (5-oz.) package gourmet mixed salad greens, thoroughly washed
- 1 cup (4 oz.) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Trim beet stems to 1 inch; gently wash beets. Wrap individually in aluminum foil, and place on a jelly-roll pan.
Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool, wrapped in foil, 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, decrease oven temperature to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Cool completely on wire rack (about 15 minutes).
Whisk together vinegar and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth.
Peel beets, and remove stem ends. Cut beets into 1/2-inch wedges; gently toss with 1/3 cup vinegar mixture.
Arrange greens on a serving platter. Top with beet mixture, Gorgonzola cheese, and pecans; serve with remaining vinaigrette.