Really good, surprisingly. I cooked on hi for 2 1/2 hours, putting the beans in during the last hour & that was perfect--the thighs would have cooked to death at 4 hours. Next time I will up the number of thighs I use since most everyone eats 2, & the amount of bean mixture would support that. Browning might be nice, but the combo of the spices & the sauce gave the chicken a nice color. A little spicy, I might change the tomatoes to diced with chiles instead of the mexican stewed & leave out the extra can of chiles. Quick & easy to prep, this will be a regular. Served with a salad & sugar snap peas.
The chicken thighs stay moist and tender in this easy slow-cooker recipe. Smokey cumin and Mexican-style stewed tomatoes bring a little kick to this hearty stew.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 207
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 18.7g
- Carbohydrate: 22.2g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 674mg
- Calcium: 96mg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds), skinned
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeÃ±o peppers and spices, undrained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Combine cumin, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over chicken.
- Place chicken in an electric slow cooker; stir in onion, tomatoes, and chiles. Cover with lid; cook on high-heat setting for 3 hours. Stir in beans. Cover; cook on high-heat setting 1 hour.
- Place 1 chicken thigh in each of 6 soup bowls; ladle 1 1/4 cups stew into each bowl. Top each serving with 2 teaspoons cilantro and 2 teaspoons sour cream.
This recipe has been retested for Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, 2012
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note