I loved this recipe although I did make some tweaks. Delicious and so easy to make. It is clearly Mexican flavors and reminded me of chili, but it isn't. I used boneless skinless chicken breast (you could probably omit the chicken and it would still be yummy). I also used a little extra cumin and ended up adding a little cayenne pepper at the end, it didn't necessarily need it but my husband likes spicy. The only other change I made was to add a cup of chicken stock to make it a little soupier. Cooked this on the stove top instead of the slow cooker for a little over an hour (probably could have been ready sooner). I don't think I would serve this to company but I'll definitely make this again. This was sooo simple. Hubby and I both loved it!!
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 207
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 18.7g
- Carbohydrate: 22.2g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 674mg
- Calcium: 96mg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds), skinned
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeño peppers and spices, undrained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Combine cumin, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over chicken.
- Place chicken in an electric slow cooker; stir in onion, tomatoes, and chiles. Cover with lid; cook on high-heat setting for 3 hours. Stir in beans. Cover; cook on high-heat setting 1 hour.
- Place 1 chicken thigh in each of 6 soup bowls; ladle 1 1/4 cups stew into each bowl. Top each serving with 2 teaspoons cilantro and 2 teaspoons sour cream.
This recipe has been retested for Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, 2012
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews