Peasant Garlic Soup
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup and 1 slice cheese toast)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Carbohydrate: 24.4g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 702mg
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Calcium: 142mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup sliced garlic cloves (about 6 to 8 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low-salt beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 4 (0.5-ounce) slices diagonally cut French bread (about 1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Gruyère cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and garlic. Cook 9 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add flour, thyme, and pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in parsley.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over bread slices. Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- Ladle soup evenly into bowls. Serve with cheese toast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note