Peas with Browned Butter, Caramelized Onions, and Prosciutto
Peas get dressed up here with browned butter and Italian ham.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen sweet peas
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook peas according to package directions, substituting 1/2 cup broth for water. Drain; set aside in a serving bowl, and keep warm.
- Cook prosciutto in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove prosciutto from pan; cool and coarsely crumble.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter with oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 28 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally.
- While onions cook, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook 5 minutes or until butter is browned, stirring occasionally. Stir sugar, vinegar, thyme, and pepper into onion; cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat. Stir caramelized onion and crumbled prosciutto into peas. Pour browned butter over peas. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note