This is my company "go-to". It's a bit of prep, but you can be done before they arrive. Crab cakes need to be in the fridge for a while anyway so they don't fall apart in the pan. These crab cakes are moist and wonderful, finishing them off in the hot oven insures that they are hot through and crisp on the outside. The sweet corn ragout is so simple, but so tasty. I make it to go with other dishes. If you have all your ingredients in little bowls (mis en place), you look like a pro cooking the ragout while the crab cakes sizzle in the pan.
Pearl Oyster Bar Crab Cakes with Sweet Corn Ragout
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 173
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 15.1g
- Carbohydrate: 17.5g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 462mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- Crab cakes:
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
- 7 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 3/4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped seeded plum tomato (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- To prepare crab cakes, combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add 2 tablespoons tomato and crabmeat, tossing gently to coat. Stir in 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Fill a 1/4-cup measuring cup with crab mixture to form 1 patty. Remove from measuring cup; repeat procedure with remaining crab mixture to form 8 patties. Lightly dredge patties in 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs.
- Melt 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 4 minutes. Turn patties; wrap handle of pan with foil. Place pan in oven; bake at 450° for 5 minutes or until patties are golden brown and thoroughly heated.
- To prepare ragout, bring 1/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add corn and peas; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 1 1/2 cups tomato and remaining ingredients. Serve ragout with crab cakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This