Notes: If desired, splash a little cassis over servings of the dessert.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 126
- Calories from fat: 3.6%
- Protein: 0.8g
- Fat: 0.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 6.7mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 orange (6 oz.)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds peeled, cored firm-ripe pears such as d'Anjou or Bartlett
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apricot-flavor brandy, brandy, or orange juice
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1. Rinse orange, cut in half lengthwise, then slice crosswise; discard seeds.
- 2. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan, combine orange, 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Stir often over medium-high heat until liquid evaporates, 4 to 5 minutes; take care not to scorch fruit.
- 3. Cut pears lengthwise into 3/4-inch slices and mix with lemon juice. In a 10-inch-wide (about 8-cup) round quiche dish or shallow casserole, snugly arrange pears in a single layer. Tuck orange pieces among pear slices. Spoon brandy over fruit, then sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- 4. Bake in a 450° oven until fruit edges are tinged with dark brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 5. Stir apricot jam to soften; dot evenly over fruit.
- 6. Return dish to oven and bake until jam is bubbling, about 5 minutes. Spoon portions onto plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note