- 3 pounds pears, peeled and diced
- 1 pound raisins
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
How to Make It
Bring first 9 ingredients to a boil in a large heavy saucepan, stirring often; reduce heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring often, 25 to 30 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch deep-dish pieplate according to package directions.
Stir pecans into pear mixture; spoon into piecrust.
Roll remaining piecrust to press out fold lines. Cut out and remove leaf shapes from center of piecrust using a leaf-shaped cookie cutter, leaving a 3-inch border around edges. Brush piecrust and leaves with beaten egg. Carefully place piecrust over filling; fold edges under. Make diagonal cuts into edge at 1/4-inch intervals; fold every other piece inward. Arrange leaves on pie.
Bake on lowest oven rack at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown, shielding with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.