- 7 1/2 pounds pears, peeled and cored
- 4 pounds cooking apples, peeled and cored
- 2 pounds raisins
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
How to Make It
Grind together pears, apples, and raisins in a stainless steel stockpot, using coarse blade of a food grinder. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and vinegar. Combine nutmeg and allspice; tie loosely in a cheesecloth bag. Add to fruit mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 1 hour or until mixture thickens.
Quickly ladle mincemeat into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2- inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Cover with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process in boiling-water bath 15 minutes. Serve as a condiment with cold meats and vegetables.