Fantastic! I used royal riviera pears from Harry & David. I did not peel them and I did not use any syrup. I don't think it needs the syrup and if you skip, it saves 75 empty calories. This is sweet and super yummy. I would serve this to company. My husband, who swears he hates fruit in all forms, LOVED it. We had turkey bacon with it. And it was perfect. (Applegate Farms)
Pear and Gruyère Strata
Think of this as stuffed French toast in a casserole. Here, sweet cinnamon bread meets juicy pears and the savory bite of Gruyère cheese. You want a pear variety that will hold its shape and won't exude too much moisture as the strata bakes--we liked Anjou and Concorde.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 9 Hours, 25 Minutes
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 13.1g
- Carbohydrate: 55.1g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 295mg
- Calcium: 216mg
- 4 cups sliced peeled Anjou or Concorde pear
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 12 (1-ounce) slices cinnamon swirl bread (such as Pepperidge Farm), cut in half diagonally
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1. Combine pear, butter, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a large bowl; toss gently.
- 2. Arrange half of bread in an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon pear mixture evenly over bread; top evenly with cheese. Arrange remaining bread over cheese.
- 3. Combine the remaining 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, milk, egg substitute, and cinnamon, stirring with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over bread, pressing down to submerge. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 5. Uncover dish. Sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over bread. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 8 equal pieces; drizzle with syrup.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This