This soup is absolutely fabulous. I've made it using the amount of broth listed and using about 3/4 of the broth. I like the thicker version better. Served this topped with candied walnuts. Everyone that has tasted it has loved it, and we're talking about 50 or 60 people to date... Thanks for the recipe.
Pear Gorgonzola Soup
This pear soup with chanterelles and mushroom broth, blended with gorgonzola works beautifully. The mushroom flavor and a pinch of saffron accented the pear flavor, but did not overpower it. Do not substitute the pears with any other fruit, let's say apples, it doesn't work. Serve the soup with golden beets for color contrast, although it would also go well with crusty sourdough bread and a green salad, or as its own course before roasted lamb.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 24-32 Chanterelle, Oyster, and other wild mushrooms, chopped coarsely
- 8 Comice or Bartlett Pears, ripe
- 8 sprig(s) fresh sage, sliced or torn into smaller pieces
- 16 tablespoon(s) gorgonzola, crumbled into soup
- 16 tablespoon(s) half-and-half cream
- 4 pinch(s) Kosher salt
- 8 cup(s) Mushroom Broth (found in the vegan section of your grocery store)
- 4 pinch(s) saffron
- 1. Peel pears and slice into about 1/8 slices.
- 2. In a heavy-bottomed, deep pan, heat butter. Saut slices of pear. Add a little more butter. Add mushrooms and half the sage. Stir until mushrooms are fully cooked, a minute or two.
- 3. Add a pinch of saffron and a pinch of salt. Pour in mushroom broth or other liquid. Stir, breaking up pear pieces. Add more sage, reserving a few bits for decoration.
- 4. Pick out some of the mushrooms so they dont get destroyed in the blender or NOT. Pour the soup into a
- blender or a receptacle in which you can use a stick blender, and blend briefly. Add the mushrooms back in.
- 5. Add the half-and-half cream, gorgonzola and bits of sage. Heat until gorgonzola is melted in. Serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by amandataylor1 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note