So good, I made it twice in 2 weeks. Fabulous!
Pear and Ginger Upside-Down Cake
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 392
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 4.8g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 70g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 447mg
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 firm-ripe Bosc pears (1 lb. total)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1. Lightly butter a 9-inch cheesecake pan with removable rim at least 2 1/2 inches tall. Line pan with a 10-inch round of cooking parchment, pressing into bottom and about 1/2 inch up sides. Cut 2 tablespoons butter into about 1/4-inch chunks and drop evenly over parchment in pan bottom. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup brown sugar and the crystallized ginger.
- 2. Peel pears and cut in half lengthwise, then, slicing parallel to cut edge, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. With a small knife, cut core from each slice. Arrange slices flat, in a single layer, over sugar mixture in pan, trimming pieces as needed to fit.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and allspice.
- 4. In another bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat remaining 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to medium-low and beat in molasses. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating until incorporated, then beat on high speed just until well blended. Pour batter over pears.
- 5. Bake in a 325° regular or 300° convection oven until a toothpick inserted in center (not in fruit) comes out clean, 1 hour and 35 to 40 minutes (cake center may settle slightly). Let cool in pan on a rack about 20 minutes. Remove pan sides. Invert a platter over cake, then, holding the two together, invert again. Carefully remove pan bottom and parchment. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts